Welcome. Make yourself at home.
Laugh with me. Cry with me. I do plenty of both.
This blog focuses on going up and UP in spite of unwilling trips down.
In short, I'm bipolar.
Welcome to the mountain. Let's get in shape together.
Laugh with me. Cry with me. I do plenty of both.
This blog focuses on going up and UP in spite of unwilling trips down.
In short, I'm bipolar.
Welcome to the mountain. Let's get in shape together.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Signs of the Times
I realized as I was driving today that I've never explained the photo I use when I blog. So here you go:
I took the photo of this sign one day during a bad manic episode. I was tired of being just a "B" online. I wanted to be me, so it helped ground me to have a concrete image to use out there in Bloglandia.
I drive by this sign almost every day on the way to pick up my kids at school (and often to drop them off as well). It's on a beautiful part of the road. It's an "S" for Sisyphesse. I love all those "S" sounds - and the S shape symbolizes the curvy road I'm taking on this trip called life. I also like that it points up. I hope to go up as much as possible, so I see the sign as hopeful.
Like the S, I'm curvy, too. Another way I identify with it.
I'm pleased with the photo because the image isn't merely the road sign. In addition to the verdant background, you can see abstract images (clouds? trees? I'm guessing both.) reflected on the sign's surface.
In real life, it looks a little different every time I drive by it. I look forward to seeing it for that brief instant on my way. Knowing that it's there reassures me, as it marks a definite place on my journey. At the same time, however, it symbolizes that life isn't always as it seems.
I lovingly call it "my sign" now. I claimed it as my own as soon as I started associating it with myself every time I post out there in Bloglandia.
So why this post today?
As I drove by my sign this evening, I noticed that it is SURROUNDED by political signs. Vote YES/NO on Prop. ___. Vote for _______. ______ for Supervisor. And I smiled. I want my sign to be involved in the discourse of the day. I didn't know most of the people or propositions standing proudly there (my sign isn't in my district), but I felt good to see them all.
If I find out they represent issue/candidates that I find abhorrent, I might have to do a little "cleaning up." After all, I wouldn't let litter build up near my sign. Or maybe I leave them there in the name of open discourse.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, I just love this post. I didn't know you took the picture. It looks very professional. You may want to put it on Flickr.
I will never look at your avatar the same way again. I intuitively understood the bipolar curves, the hidden S, and knowing you had kids and the need for a few new wardrobe pieces I thought you might have a few yummy curves on your tall frame. Although, my curves challenge your curves to a Curve Showdown. Bet I'd win. =)
Now I get to smile, knowing what a lovely little moment this sign gives you Monday through Friday during the school year. And, yeah, make sure you don't have any intolerant, anti-gay marriage, idiots littering your space. Absolutely.
Post a Comment